The Fifth Annual Red Wasp Film Festival in Bryan, TX (19-20 October 2007)
BRYAN, TX–The fifth annual Red Wasp Film Festival was held this past weekend (October 19 and 20) at Conlee Auctions in downtown Bryan (601 S. Bryan Avenue). This was the second year that the film festival was organized by Brazos Progressives.
The festival screened twelve independent films submitted by filmmakers from across Texas and U.S., and the festival was capped off with a screening of “Nobelity,” a film by Turk Pipkin that looks at the problems of the world through the eyes of nine Nobel laureates (www.nobelityproject.org).
Festival organizers are proud to announce the winners of this year’s festival competition:
- Judges’ Favorite: “Lonely Highway” by Dane Hurt, Jeremi Mattern, and Chris Walker (www.dangerfilms.com);
- One to Watch: “Cyn” by Alex Ferrari (www.alexferrari.com); and
- Audience Favorite: “The Tragedy of the Fallen Cherub” by local filmmaker Julio Olivera (www.youtube.com/Ovnio).
The Judges’ Favorite trophy was sculpted by artist Theodora Saladino Krc, and the winners received gift certificates from Caffe Capri, as well as gift certificates and bottles of wine donated by Square One Bistro. Red Wasp 2007 would also like to thank our additional sponsors:
- Revolution CafÃ© & Bar,
- Arts Council of Brazos Valley,
- Conlee-Garrett Moving & Storage,
- Madden’s Casual Gourmet,
- Earth Art,
- The Internal Medicine Center, Professional Association, Elizabeth C. Berigan, MD,
- Brazos Natural Foods,
- Stearns Construction,
- KEOS, and
These generous sponsors ensure that the Red Wasp Film Festival will continue to grow in our community, as we look forward to next year’s festival.
For a complete listing of the films that were shown and for updates about next year’s festival and ways that you can help or submit a film, please visit the festival’s web site at www.redwaspfilmfestival.org. Join us as we promote independent film in our community!
Contact: Carol Conlee, 979-690-0073, or John Gibbs, firstname.lastname@example.org.